Friday, June 03, 2005

Max Brenner

It was an ordinary weekday morning last Thursday. Nothing was amiss. My boss, whom we fondly call Max Brenner, wasn't in yet. VPs were usually late, anyway. I went about my tasks and was talking to someone over the phone when he came in and called in an emergency marketing meeting at our conference room. This often happens, so I went immediately, expecting that we'd have to rush some project or Oli needs backup for her event today. He waited until we were complete, and somebody started joking about how his daughter was being linked to various actors on TV. He took it good-naturedly, even laughing with us, and then he dropped the bomb.

Max Brenner is leaving. He's leaving us. He told us, "Guys, I have to make an announcement. One month from now, I'll be leaving and someone is going to take my place..." in his usual way.

There was one millisecond of silence that reverberated with shock and then I, being the more outspoken and the most talkative one in the group, blurted out loudly, "You HAVE GOT to be kidding me..." I heard Oli say "WHA..???" and C remakred softly, "Ang daya ni (Max Brenner)..." I was on the verge of tears. I was trying very hard not to let my tears fall. After our initial outbursts, he continued, explaining the reason why he was leaving, why he has to leave, dadada, dadada. And all that time I was blinking back my tears, trying to control my facial expression, not looking at him. After he trailed off, I looked at him and spoke, in a strangled voice, "You know, you're going to make me cry..." And I broke down. He said, "Nooo..."

I continued, "You know it takes a lot to make me cry. My friends, they can attest to this. I never cried about work, about my studies, about stress, but this..." And then everyone broke down.

That moment I had my first experience in feeling devastated. My tears fell continually and I was having difficulty in uttering my words. I feel so sad.

Max Brenner is a great boss. Seriously. He is a good mentor, a good leader. He is unbelievably patient with us (although we know sometimes he gets frustrated with us). He works with a personal touch, he has a great sense of humor, he befriends anybody who comes his way, he...well, you get the idea. Words cannot do justice in describing the kind of boss that he is, but he is great. I was so thankful to God because He gave me bosses like Max Brenner and the Jap Cook. I couldn't have asked for better bosses than those two, especially now since I am just really getting started on letting my career sail. Before we were assigned to departments after our training program, I prayed real hard that God give me a boss that I could look up to, I could admire, I could respect, I could candidly speak to, someone who's gonna be a role model that I could pattern my work values and leadership style after. He answered my prayers with Jap Cook and Max Brenner.

I worked closely with Max Brenner since Lola left. He was the one who trained me not to let titles get in the way of communication and getting things done, of properly complimenting efforts that are note-worthy, dispensing insightful views every step of the way. He guided me in every step while letting me have free reign. He backed my decisions, challenged my ideas and limits and taught me to stand up for something that I believe is good and will work for the company even if the godfather didn't like it. Little did I know that he was already preparing me for his imminent departure.

I know Sig and Oli feel exactly the same way. We were, are, devastated. Oli told him, "Eunice and I were talking a few weeks before, that one of the reasons why we are staying with this unit is because of you, and now you're leaving...?" I know we're making it really hard for him, but we can't help it. We love our boss. We love the Jap Cook and Max Brenner. It has always been evident in the way that we talk about those two. We feel offended if some higher ups speak or backstab or yell at them in any way. We're very 'protective' of them. How many can say the same thing about their bosses?

I know it will be really hard to let him go. I don't even want to think about it yet. I act as if he's not going, barging in every now and then at his office. But at least I can kid about his departure now, like he does. He somehow makes it easier for us to deal with it. And he's pretty decided himself. Maluwag sa loob niya. And I guess life's just like that. Some people come and go. Max Brenner is one of those people I had to meet to give me a lesson, and the lesson's been given. It's finished. I learned and am learning so much from him still. It's time to move on. But I'd like to hold on just a little bit longer.

0 Sentiments:

Post a Comment

<< Home