Monday, May 09, 2005

A Delayed Tribute to My Mum

Last Sunday was Mother's Day. I didn't buy my mum any fancy thing for the sole reason that I cannot afford any material thing she has her eyes on at present. I know of a few of her woman heart desires - mostly jewels, which she claims she'll pass on to me when the right time came. What I did instead, in lieu of any material gift, was the comfort of my presence in her bed for two nights in a row, three, if I do it again tonight. Yes, I still sleep beside my mum, although as I grew up I spent less time sleeping beside her and more time sleeping by myself in my queen- sized bed.

I don't have any idea how lonely it was to sleep in such a big bed, since I have always been alone. But my mum's situation is different. She has a husband who cannot be with her, a dad who cannot be with us because they wanted their children to live a very comfortable life. They have given me everything that I could ever want. All I have to do is ask, and they almost trip over themselves, scurrying over to grant my wish. My dad was the provider, my mum the implementer. Only she would have the patience to wait up for me until the wee hours of the morning, because mums are just like that - they couldn't possibly sleep knowing that their brood is not yet complete. It's only now, when I turned twenty three and my younger brother turned twenty one did she manage to fall asleep even if we're not home yet, but I'll bet my whole ass that she knows what forsaken hour my bro and I come home whenever we go out. I have led an easy life because of her, and for that I am very grateful.

For mum's day I bought her two atrociously expensive cream puffs she loves so much - Beard Papa, it was called, made from Japan's finest ingredients. It's a very small price to pay for everything she has done for me. I have a lot of friends who tell me I am so darned lucky to have parents like them. And I agree.

I believe they have done their utmost in raising my brother and I to a very comfortable life. They have raised me well. I believe my parents, especially my mum, swell with pride whenever they hear their friends comments, and my guy friends' observations about me (well, maybe not the mataray part). And they should. It was partly because of them I am this way. Although both mum and dad have been hinting (more frequently, if I may add) that they wouldn't mind at all if one of these days I let them meet a delightful young man...(ha. In your dreams! Hehehehe)