Sunday, January 15, 2006

What the EFF?

I’ve always considered myself very open minded about things, although I do tend to be conservative when it comes to the way I live my life. Being born into a Filipino-Chinese family has me celebrating two new years, speaking four languages – two of which belong to my other half’s celestial ancestors (Hokien and Mandarin), and widening how I see things. Add to that some months living on extremely conservative/liberated environments and I’d like to think the result is a female with very well-balanced views.

Perhaps this issue I’m writing about may touch some of the sensitive friends who take the time to read my blog, but please hear me out. (You know I treat these topics with great delicacy). I came across an article in the newspaper today that there’s a new phenomenon sweeping the US market – particularly the female segment. There’s a new medical operation that restores the hymen on the female genitalia – yep, one could be a virgin again! It costs about USD 1,500 – 5,000 per operation, but who knows, the prices might go down in the near future. Just look at rhinoplastic surgery. Add to that the possibility of having ‘it’ tightened again and we’re now looking into commercialized morality.

What has got me reacting strongly is this: it bothers me to think of the future of girls everywhere. It seems that science has put in another way to circumvent, ahem, morality. Do not get me wrong. I have girl friends who are virgins and who are not, but all of them say one thing: virginity may not be that big an issue nowadays, but you don’t just throw it away. It is a big decision on any girl’s life, and it is special, and it is a gift. And it doesn’t mean that if you’re not a virgin anymore you are automatically promiscuous and immoral (gosh, can someone please drum that into close-minded and judgmental people? Thank you.) I guess what I’m just worried about is a future wherein girls would treat their virginity as something they can throw away easily (or is it happening already?) and flaunting how many times they’ve undergone that restoring the hymen thing and how many guys they’ve bedded. Shudder shudder.

I fear for my future daughters, future nieces, future little girls. But knowing the kinds of friends I have, I KNOW they’re going to do their utmost in raising their daughters well. Sana na lang maging magkakaibigan yung mga magiging anak namin.

0 Sentiments:

Post a Comment

<< Home