Thursday, March 24, 2005

Mixed emotions

Just watched ‘Closer.’ ‘Tis a beautiful movie, but one that won’t probably appreciated by most people. It captured raw and real emotions very reminiscent of the reality TV shows prevalent today. And it bloody played with my emotions and my mind as well.

Jude Law was brilliant as Dan, the photographer who’s obsessively in love with Anna, the character played by the heartbreakingly beautiful Julia Roberts. Clive Owen and Natalie Portman were a bit rusty, but they gave stellar performances. I feel Natalie looks too clean and innocent to play a stripper, you would really think she’s acting, but you gotta give her an A for effort. Summary of the plot? They screwed each other, broke up, got back together, and then broke up again. I can’t get any blunter than that. The bloody movie plays with the audience’s emotions; hell, I can’t even tell who’s telling the truth or not even after the movie ended. “Why did you tell me?” “Because we promised each other to always tell the truth…” (after admitting sleeping with someone). The truth almost always makes you feel you just slammed into a brick wall and then you end up wishing you hadn’t heard the truth at all. But you still want the truth because in the end, you can’t live without knowing the truth. (Why do I feel like Morpheus here?) Brilliant. Truth is both absolute and relative; it takes faith to discern what you would believe, what you want to believe. (I am thanking my Philosophy classes for making me think. I do hope my professor’s proud of me.) I’m cutting this short, precisely because I do not know how to end this, this is just me thinking out loud. I might revise this should I ever get my thoughts together.

0 Sentiments:

<< Home